Although we are the GACC South, we are not all Germans. In fact, we are a multinational team. We work and have fun in creative spaces like Westside Provisions (Atlanta) and Galleria District (Houston).
Working for the GACC
Working at the GACC South is not only a lot of fun, but also comes with many benefits:
- 12 paid holidays a year
- 20 days of paid vacation days in the first two year, max up to 26
- 1 personal day a year
- 5 paid sick days a year with a maximum accrual of 20 days
- Medical, vision, dental insurance Employer-paid life and long-term disability insurance
- 401K with matching
- Highly discounted MARTA monthly passes
- Multiple annual team outings to fun locations
- And most importantly: Free premium coffee and water (sparkling and non-sparkling)
The GACC South offers internships for students and graduates in various departments. The field of study (in particular economics, engineering, marketing, event management etc.) is of secondary importance. We expect our interns to have a serious interest in getting to know the mechanisms of consulting. Being eager to work closely with primarily small and medium-sized enterprises in an international business setting is also key. Training at the GACC South will be based on independent work. Each intern will work in a specific department and will be assigned a variety of topics and general tasks (e.g. inquiries, address research, events planning, text writing etc.). As an intern, you will also learn to work in a team environment, communicate directly with clients and participate in various chamber events. The projects and tasks will introduce you to the typical work of a bilateral chamber of commerce.
The following are the main requirements for all internship positions at GACC South. Interns must also meet the specific requirements for the type of internship for which they are applying.
- High-level proficiency in the English and German languages (unless otherwise noted)
- Strong research and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Excellent computer skills (internet navigation and the entire MS Office Suite)
- High degree of self-initiative
- A great interest in working with an international team and a high level of motivation to help the GACC South accomplish its mission
- Applicants without United States citizenship/permanent residency will need a J1-visa in order to intern in the U.S. Once you have been accepted into the internship program we will provide you with information on how to apply for a J1-visa. All J1-Interns will also receive help to get settled in Atlanta.
- For American interns, the internship usually takes place during a semester hiatus from college or upon successful completion of a degree program in order to gain German-American business experience prior to entering the workforce.
The minimum duration for internships is nine months for interns requiring J1-visa sponsorship and six months for interns that do not require a visa; however, longer internships lasting up to 12 months are preferred.
All internships are paid.
Housing and Transportation
Housing costs are not included and every intern has to find a place to live independently. The rental costs in Atlanta are approx. 800-1,000 USD for a shared apartment. In Houston rental costs can be a bit higher. Current interns at the GACC South are always willing to support new interns in finding a new place to live or otherwise. It is recommended to purchase a car, since public transportation in Atlanta and Houston is not widespread. Hence, a budget for a car should be included in the living costs.
Info Legal Traineeships:
Please note that the GACC South does not have an internal legal department. Therefore, we are unable to offer any legal internships or traineeships or J-1 Visa information. For J-1 Visa information please visit the website below.